Young boy with allergy ‘could’ve been killed by biscuit’, court hears


Young boy with allergy ‘could’ve been killed by biscuit’, court hears

(stock photo)
(stock photo)

A Co Down father whose young son had a severe allergic reaction to an unlisted ingredient in a biscuit said the four-year-old could have died if he hadn’t been carrying an Epipen.

Nevis Bakery in Scotland was yesterday fined £6,000 (€6,690) at Belfast Magistrates Court and ordered to pay over £3,000 (€3,480) in legal costs after the boy was hospitalised after eating one of its biscuits.

The bakery in Inverness-shire pleaded guilty to failing to list an allergenic ingredient, namely eggs, in the ingredients of its Empire biscuits.

Stephen Bingham’s four-year-old son Joshua, who is allergic to eggs, was hospitalised after eating the biscuit and going into anaphylactic shock.

The Holywood man told the BBC that he and his wife had checked the label for the ingredients, but eggs were not listed.

Mr Bingham administered the Epipen after Joshua’s severe reaction, then called an ambulance. He said his son could have died if he hadn’t had the automatic injection device with him.

The incident resulted in a UK-wide product recall and the biscuits were removed from sale at shops.

Nevis Bakery has since reissued the biscuits with the correct allergen information and ingredients clearly listed on the packaging.


#bb-iawr-inarticle- { clear: both; margin: 0 0 15px; }

Belfast Telegraph


Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here